Tommy Armstrong was taken to the hospital Saturday night after he suffered what appeared to be a severe head injury during NU's matchup with Ohio State, but the Husker quarterback would later return to Ohio Stadium.

Late in the second quarter, Armstrong ran for a first down and had his legs swept out from under him by an Ohio State tackler. Replays showed Armstrong's head hit the turf hard as he was unable to break his fall, and then the quarterback remained motionless along the sideline.  

Nebraska released a statement soon after Armstrong was carted off that the Husker quarterback was "briefly knocked unconscious." Armstrong was moving all extremities and talking while on the field and was taken to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Armstrong wasn't at the hospital for long though. Shortly after halftime, ABC cameras showed Armstrong walking back toward the stadium. Fans erupted as he reappeared on the field, jogging back to the Husker sideline to hugs from his teammates.

After his fall, trainers immediately attended to Armstrong as he remained still near the field after he suffered his injury. Trainers cut off part of his jersey, shoulder pads and chin strap. Armstrong then briefly moved his arms but mostly remained still with his fists clenched, according to ABC sideline reporter Sam Ponder.

Cameras also showed Armstrong's father and fiancee near Armstrong after they were escorted to field level from their seats in the stands.

Armstrong was placed on a stretcher and carted off the field and into an ambulance to be taken to an area hospital for further testing. When head and neck injuries are involved, the stretcher and cart are often used as a precautionary measure. Armstrong was conscious as he left on the cart, responding to teammates that wished him well. He gave a thumbs up with his left hand as the cart departed. 

Fans of both teams were chanting Armstrong's name as he was carted away.

During a halftime interview, Nebraska coach Mike Riley was optimistic about his QB's recovery.

"I think everything is going to be OK," Riley said.

He was OK, indeed. Once doctors gave Armstrong the green light, his fiancee said in a Twitter post that the Husker senior couldn't wait to get back:

Senior quarterback Ryker Fyfe replaced Armstrong, who broke the school record for total offensive yardage in a career earlier in the game.

The videos below show the injury to Armstrong and response from medical personnel, as well as video of the QB's return in which he shared an embrace with Riley along the sideline:

Get a daily Husker news roundup, recruiting updates and breaking news in your inbox.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.