With Tommy Armstrong’s success in the run game this season, it’s led some to wonder whether the Husker coaches would consider recruiting dual-threat quarterbacks — and it appears they are.

Nebraska extended offers to two quarterbacks Monday that are considered dual-threat passers by the major recruiting services. That breaks from Mike Riley’s typical pattern.

Riley and offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf brought their pro-style passing attack from Oregon State and have recruited to that style since they arrived. Freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien and transfer Tanner Lee both fit the pro-style mold, as does 2017 commit Tristan Gebbia.

With Nebraska now focused on finding its 2018 quarterback, it seemed pro-style would again be the route they took. The five quarterbacks NU offered in that class prior to Monday are all considered pro-style passers by the recruiting sites.

But Jalen Mayden and Colson Yankoff — the two offered by the Huskers on Monday — are dual-threat quarterbacks. Both are also four-star prospects.

Mayden comes from Sachse, Texas, and the same high school that produced current Husker I-back Devine Ozigbo. Langsdorf was in that part of the state this past weekend, recruiting and evaluating during the bye week. That led to an offer for Mayden a couple days later.

Mayden threw for nearly 2,500 yards and 32 touchdowns while adding another 500 yards on the ground as a sophomore in 2015. He’s the nation’s No. 6 dual-threat quarterback, according to the 247Sports composite. His other offers include: Houston, Illinois, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisville, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Oregon State, South Florida, Syracuse and Utah.

Yankoff has been committed to Oregon since June. The Coeur d'Alene, Idaho product ranks No. 7 nationally among dual-threat quarterbacks. Perhaps Nebraska can seek revenge after it had Terry Wilson — another dual-threat quarterback — flip to the Ducks last year.

Ferentz no fan of in-season visits

We all know how the Huskers feel about in-season official visits. They love them way more than their Big Ten counterparts — especially Kirk Ferentz.

The Iowa coach called in-season visits a “total pain in the butt” during the Big Ten teleconference Tuesday. He said that in response to questions regarding the NCAA proposal that would create two early signing periods and allow for official visits in June (Ferentz does support that proposal).

As for recruiting visits on game days, Ferentz doesn’t seem to be a fan. “They really cheat the prospect of a lot of important things on a visit,” he said.

Ferentz has a point. Coaches are typically more focused on the game in the hours before kickoff instead of spending time with recruits. There may also be parts of campus that aren’t open on a game day that would otherwise be available for recruits to tour.

But Ferentz’s comments help shed some light on issues a particular Iowa commit has had with the Hawkeyes.

Chevin Calloway, a four-star defensive back from Texas that took an official visit to Nebraska for the Illinois game, has said in several interviews with recruiting sites that a lack of communication with the Iowa coaches has led him to soften on his commitment. For example, attempts to set up a visit this season have mostly gone unanswered or were instead met with requests to wait until later.

Calloway doesn’t seem to share Ferentz’s thoughts on the gameday experience.

So while some coaches like Ferentz may not see that as advantageous in recruiting, the Huskers will continue to go full steam ahead in getting players to Memorial Stadium with hopes of finishing ahead of the Hawkeyes in the final rankings.

Other Husker offers

In addition to the two quarterbacks, the Huskers have extended offers to two other players in the last week:

Safety Josiah Bradley (2018), Scottsdale, Ariz.: Bradley received his offer from the Huskers on Friday, the same day defensive coordinator Mark Banker was evaluating players in the Phoenix area. He’s a consensus three-star prospect and the third best player in Arizona, according to the 247Sports composite. Louisville and Oregon State are the other two schools to offer him.

Running back Garrison Johnson (2019), Wolfforth, Texas: Johnson is the 11th player in the 2019 class to receive an offer from the Huskers, and Nebraska became the first school to extend Johnson a scholarship. Johnson ran for 357 yards and three touchdowns in a game last week and had 178 yards and two rushing touchdowns the week before that.

Get a daily Husker news roundup, recruiting updates and breaking news in your inbox.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.