Metro South Driver License Service Center

Driver’s licenses


Any newcomer to Nebraska with a valid driver license from another state must obtain a Nebraska license within 30 days of establishing residence. Application for a driver license or State ID card may be made at any State Department of Motor Vehicles office in the state. Two forms of proof of address are required by the DMV when obtaining a new license, or changing the address on a driver license. Applicants also need to show proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status, containing name, date of birth and identity. Applicants must disclose their valid Social Security number or show proof of exemption from the requirement by presenting a valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport. 

402-471-3861; dmv.nebraska.gov

Cass County

Morehead Building, 201 Main St., Plattsmouth; 402-296-1028

Dodge County

Dodge County Courthouse, 435 N. Park St., Fremont; 402-727-2902

Douglas County

7414 N. 30th St., 402-595-2040; 5730 S. 144th St., 402-595-2424; 2910 N. 108th St., 402-595-3106

Sarpy County

Metro South Driver License Service Center, 4502 Maass Road (Highway 370 at 48th Street), 402-292-0141

Saunders County

Saunders County Courthouse, 433 N. Chestnut St., Wahoo; 402-443-4970

Washington County

Treasurer’s Office, Washington County Courthouse, 1555 Colfax St., Blair; 402-426-5660


Drivers new to Iowa must obtain a state license within 30 days of establishing residence.

800-532-1121 or 515-244-8725; iowadot.gov/mvd

Harrison County

111 N. Second Ave., Logan; 712-644-2371

Mills County

Mills County Courthouse, 418 Sharp St., Glenwood; 712-527-5314

Pottawattamie County

Mall of the Bluffs, 1751 Madison Ave., Suite 330, 712-323-1219



Bring proof of insurance and motor vehicle registration to your county treasurer’s office. For newly purchased vehicles, bring sales receipt and signed title. Newcomers to the state must contact the sheriff’s office in their county for a vehicle inspection. The out-of-state title, registration, and proof of insurance must be presented at the time of inspection by the sheriff’s office. Renewal of vehicle registration can be done through the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles website, through the mail or in person at county offices.


Cass County Treasurer’s Office, 402-296-9320

Dodge County Treasurer’s Office, 402-727-2750

Douglas County Treasurer’s Office, 1819 Farnam St., 402-444-7103; 7414 N. 30th St., 402-595-2040; 5730 S. 144th St., 402-595-2424.

Sarpy County Treasurer’s Office, 1210 Golden Gate Drive, Papillion, 402-593-2143.

Saunders County Treasurer’s Office, 402-443-8130

Washington County Treasurer’s Office, 402-426-6888


Iowa law requires newcomers to register motor vehicles with the county treasurer’s office within 30 days from the date they establish residency. Bring title, registration, proof of residency and odometer statement to any motor vehicle office.


Harrison County Treasurer’s Office, 712-644-2144

Mills County Treasurer’s Office, 712-527-5314

Pottawattamie County Treasurer’s Office, 712-328-5631

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.