The Papillion La Vista School Board took action on a few items at its Feb. 8 meeting before discussing several items.
• The board approved a teacher agreement with the Papillion-La Vista Education Association for the 2016-17 school year. The agreement increases the base salary to $35,365, increases the health insurance deductible to $900 for the traditional plan and $3,500 for the high deductible health plan, and increases the hourly rate of pay for curriculum/summer school/night school to $28 per hour, among other things.
• The board approved staffing needs for the 2016-17 school year. Administration recommended to increase the certified staff by 4.8 full time equivalencies, with an additional five general education and two special education growth positions authorized to meet the needs of students who may move into the district between now and the fall. The budget impact of this request, based on average teacher compensation for newly hired staff, is $360,000, plus an additional $525,000 for potential growth positions, an estimated total of $885,000.
• The board received an update on recently introduced legislative bills of interest to them.
• The board discussed changes to the Series 2000 Board Policies, which are reviewed annually.
• The board received an update on the high school visioning process, including information on steps taken and solicitation for input on how the district would like high schools to function in the future.
The next board meeting will be held Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. To find agendas and minutes, visit plcschools.org.
— Rachel George