Restoration work is underway on the EC-135 Looking Glass aircraft and supporters are looking for artifacts of the historic plane’s last continuous airborne sortie.
The plane under restoration at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in Ashland is the one that in 1990 closed out a 37-year period of 24-hours-a-day continuous flight.
The EC-135s were a fleet of airborne command posts that possessed the same ability to launch nuclear missiles as Strategic Air Command’s ground-based command center.
On July 24, 1990, EC-135C 38049 glided to a landing at Offutt Air Force Base, piloted by then-SAC Commander in Chief Jack Chain. It was the end of a Cold War-inspired mission that has since passed to the Navy, although the Navy’s airborne command posts do not maintain a 24-hour presence.
The committee overseeing restoration of 38049 is seeking items associated with that final flight.
Anyone with items they might contribute should call Hank Carriger at 402-639-1033.