Youngblood, Frederick Edward MD Frederick Edward Youngblood, MD and the HMFIC passed away surrounded by family on April 19th. Always a snappy dresser and a true Southern Gentleman, he took great care to make the event rather peaceful for all those involved. Fred was born in Augusta, Georgia, on January 25th, 1939. His mother's name was Sarah and his father's name was Pug. He had an uncle Mutt, as well, so it comes as no surprise that he was a Georgia Bulldog from the get-go. He and his younger brother, Edward (also a Pug), grew up dirt poor there in Augusta as his parents were invariably moonshiners, bar owners, fry cooks, good Irish Catholics, and real estate developers. After finishing at Boys Catholic High School in Augusta, he attended the University of Georgia on a football scholarship before flunking out and joining the U.S. Navy. While on the high seas, he was first a gunner's mate and then a Navy corpsman. It was while as a corpsman at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia, that he met a girl from one of the northern states called Colorado. This naval officer nurse named Bonnie, who far outranked the young corpsman, obviously used her wily Rocky Mountain feminine wiles to fraternize her way into his heart. They were either married a day before or the day after St. Patrick's Day, no one can every really get that straight, and she would forever be known as 'The Yankee' to the rest of his family. They would go on to have a lot of super-intelligent and good-looking kids: Tony, Chris, Michael, Charlie (Smooth Daddy, The Smart One), and Kathleen (The Chosen One) Gamble. When not busy making small children, the Youngblood clan was caravanning about the country, moving at least once every couple of years or whenever it was time to vacuum the rugs. Through these travels, Freddie returned to college at the University of Georgia, medical school at the Medical College of Georgia, and then a residency in Anesthesiology at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina (still in the Navy). He would spend the next fifty years or so passing gas and stomping out pain wherever he went. When not so engaged, he spent time as a banjo player and a drummer in various jazz, Dixie, and rock-and-roll bands. He even made his own instrument called 'The Plunker' from a spring, a cowbell, a tambourine, and an old iron pole with a cymbal on top. It was also not so rare to find him and the wife, and lifelong friends routinely traveling to the innards of Mexico for weeks at a time in a refurbished school bus. The HMFIC was also an expert at roasting whole pigs over hot coals for hours on end, leveraging his small children to do the dirty work against all child labor laws by paying them in Egg McMuffins. Fred worked at many hospitals throughout his career, but St. Joseph's and then Creighton University Medical Center was always his second home. He truly was a great physician, great teacher, and a great man. He is survived by his incredibly patient wife, Bonnie; Tony Youngblood, Chris and Missy Youngblood, Michael and Victoria Youngblood, Charlie and Collette Youngblood, Kathleen and Brad Gamble; his lifelong friends, Jim and Pat Manion; and a whole mess of grandkids. It was our dad's request that any donations be made to Creighton University School of Medicine at the following:

(4) entries


Thank you for your Service May you be granted an Honorable and Restful Peace
Francis Durham VFW District 10 Chaplain


Sorry for your loss but Thank You for a fun and noteworthy obit for a man of service that your hmfic clearly was. Semper Fidelis, Mick Wagoner LtCol (ret)


So sorry to hear of the passing of a great doctor and an old friend. Bill Truhlsen


Dr. "Blood" was a great physician and a better person. I always enjoyed visiting with especially talking about the days Chris and I played baseball at Prep, lots of good stories from those years. I am blessed to have known him. RIP

John Weremy

Sign the guestbook.

THANK YOU for helping us ensure that all guest book entries are positive and considerate. If you see a negative or inappropriate comment, please click on the link in the comment to report it, and a staff member will follow up immediately.