Nebraskans can now apply for state and federal flood assistance. Here's how to get the ball rolling

Tom Strigenz points to a kayak that floated away from his Hawaiian Village home during a flood.

Nebraskans in nine counties who have been impacted by the recent flooding can now apply for assistance from the state and federal government.

Homeowners and renters in Butler, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Nemaha, Sarpy, Saunders and Washington Counties who were impacted by flooding, severe winter storms and straight-line winds that began March 9 can apply for federal disaster assistance.

President Donald Trump declared a major disaster for the State of Nebraska on Thursday. The declaration opens the door to federal aid to help state, tribal and local recovery efforts.

Gov. Pete Ricketts had requested the declaration earlier in the week.

More counties may be added to the list as more of the damage is assessed. 

The assistance can include help with temporary repairs to homes, paying for a short-term place to live while repairs are being made and help with other disaster-related needs not covered by other programs.

Applicants should do the following steps to start seeking assistance:

>> Report your damage to your local emergency manager

>> Call your insurance agent 

>> Document your damage with photos or video and make lists of damaged items

>> Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency at or by calling 800-621-3362

FEMA will need the applicant's current address, the address of the damaged property, contact information, social security numbers, makeup of the applicant's household, insurance and income information.

A press release from the agency said people should register even if they have insurance. Applicants should not wait until settling with their insurance provider to register. 

Here's the full how-to from FEMA and the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency: