About a dozen people became ill after being exposed to a chemical, possibly chlorine, in the pool and hot tub area of a hotel late Monday night.

Medics were called to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites at Cherry Hills, near Interstate 680 and Blair High Road, about 10:45 p.m.

According to emergency dispatch reports, medics found nine children and a couple of adults complaining of various symptoms, including burning eyes and difficulty breathing.

Several were taken to Children’s Hospital & Medical Center in serious condition.

Because of the number of people involved, mutual aid was requested by the local volunteer fire department. Responding were the Irvington and Ponca Hills Volunteer Fire Departments and the Omaha Fire Department.

Omaha sent a hazardous materials crew to investigate.

A representative of the Holiday Inn wasn’t immediately available for comment.

Sign up for World-Herald news alerts

Be the first to know when news happens. Get the latest breaking headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Nancy Gaarder helps cover public safety and weather events as an editor on The World-Herald's breaking news desk. Follow her on Twitter @gaarder. Phone: 402-444-1102.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.