A dog died early Tuesday in a house fire in South Omaha, officials said.

A call about the fire sent crews to a single-story home near Monroe Street and 25th Plaza about 2:20 a.m. Firefighters spotted smoke and flames coming from the front of the house, Omaha fire officials said.

A resident of the house was able to get out before firefighters arrived, but the person’s dog died in the fire.

The fire was extinguished in less than half an hour. Officials determined that improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire.

The house was valued at $132,000. Fire officials estimated the damage to the structure and its contents at $65,000.

The home did not have smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are available for free and can be installed by the Fire Department. Call 402-444-3560 for more information.

Sign up for World-Herald news alerts

Be the first to know when news happens. Get the latest breaking headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Alia Conley covers breaking news, crime, crime trends, the Omaha Police Department and initial court hearings. Follow her on Twitter @aliavalentine. Phone: 402-444-1068.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.