WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said an advice columnist who has accused him of sexually assaulting her in a New York City department store in the mid-1990s is not his “type.”

“I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type. Number two, it never happened,” Trump told the Hill news site in an interview Monday.

Writer E. Jean Carroll has said a friendly encounter with Trump at Bergdorf Goodman in 1995 or 1996 turned violent when the real estate mogul pushed her up against a dressing room wall, unzipped his pants and forced himself on her. Carroll said that, in a “colossal struggle,” she pushed him off and ran from the store.

Trump told the Hill that Carroll is “totally lying” about the accusation, which he also denied earlier. “I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her,” he said. “She is — it’s just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.”

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, told Bloomberg News this year that she had been raped in college by someone she knew who was physically and sexually abusive. Reporters asked Ernst on Tuesday about the new allegations against Trump — and his comment that the accuser is “not my type.”

“I will not address what the president has said,” Ernst said. “But what I will address is that anybody that comes forward with accusations should be heard, and then it’s up to those in other areas other than Congress to determine what are the facts behind that situation.”

Ernst did not specify who she meant by those “in other areas.”

The allegation against Trump is included in Carroll’s coming book about the “hideous men” whom the Elle magazine columnist says she has encountered throughout her life.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, more than a dozen women accused Trump of sexual misconduct in earlier years. Trump has denied the allegations and said the women are lying.

World-Herald staff writer Joseph Morton contributed to this report.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Reporter - Politics/Washington D.C.

Joseph Morton is The World-Herald Washington Bureau Chief. Morton joined The World-Herald in 1999 and has been reporting from Washington for the newspaper since 2006. Follow him on Twitter @MortonOWH. Email:joseph.morton@owh.com

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.