The Women’s Center for Advancement this week continued a long tradition of celebrating “extraordinary women” in the community.
The organization, which works with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and human trafficking, honored 10 women Thursday during a luncheon at the Omaha Marriott -Capitol District.
The 2019 honorees:
- Susan Courtney, executive vice president, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska.
- Deborah R. Gilg, J.D., founder, Fearless, Fierce and Forward; retired U.S. attorney for Nebraska.
- Cindy Gonzalez, reporter, Omaha World-Herald.
- Gail Graeve, vice president of community affairs and corporate events, Mutual of Omaha.
- Anne Hindrey, CEO, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands.
- Andrea Kathol, owner, Field Day Development.
- Jamalia L. Parker, director of family engagement services, Learning Community of Douglas and Sarpy Counties.
- Jessica Pate, community volunteer and co-founder, The Force.
- Denise Powell, partner, Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture; co-founder, Women Who Run -Nebraska.
- Dr. Athena Ramos, assistant professor, University of Nebraska Medical Center’s College of Public Health.
The event typically raises more than $100,000, which benefits women served by the center. Visit the group’s website to donate.
In 2018, the WCA moved to its current location at 3801 Harney St., a nearly $11 million move that tripled its space.