Firefighters saved several pets from a house fire Sunday at 5520 Florence Blvd.

None of the five people living at the home was there when the fire was reported at 1:10 p.m.

The residents had to find shelter with relatives after the fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the house and its contents, Omaha fire officials said.

Firefighters saw smoke coming from the house when they arrived and found a fire in the basement, believed to have started by flammable materials placed too close to a space heater.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.