Flood damage

Volunteer Jessica Thurber of Omaha helps clean out the basement of a flooded home in Valley. 

People with questions about potential property tax valuation reductions because of flood damage can get answers from Douglas County Assessor Diane Battiato at an upcoming meeting in Valley.

Battiato plans a town hall on the topic for 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the United Faith Community Center at 921 S. Mayne St. She will explain how to report property damage caused by a natural disaster.

Nebraska enacted a law this year that offers valuation reductions for some flood victims. Owners of properties destroyed or significantly damaged by flooding, a tornado or other natural disasters can request a new property assessment — what could amount to a tax break if officials agree that a property’s value has dropped.

Property owners who want to be considered for a valuation reduction must complete the State of Nebraska’s Form 425, Report of Destroyed Property, according to a press release from Battiato’s office.

“The state has established a specific procedure for property-value-reduction consideration,” Battiato said in a statement. “The purpose of the town hall meeting is to answer questions property owners might have, as well as explain elements of the reporting process, such as qualifications and documentation. We want to make it as easy as possible for the property owner to apply for consideration.”

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.