Two chickens escaped being cooked but were left in a stew Sunday night.

The birds safely escaped a fire that ravaged their coop, detached from a house at 5618 Hickory St., an Omaha fire official said.

Firefighters were called scene at 11:09 p.m. and found the coop engulfed in flames when they arrived. The chickens already had escaped to a penned-in yard area, said Battalion Chief Mark Driscoll of the Omaha Fire Department.

It was not immediately clear where the chickens would be housed for the night. The Nebraska Humane Society was not called in to help.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.