Man, 32, shot in the head in Louisville, Neb.

Steven I. Harrod

A 32-year-old man was critically injured about 5 p.m. Monday when he was shot in the head inside a Louisville, Neb., house.

Authorities were seeking a 64-year-old Louisville man in connection with the shooting.

The victim was flown to Creighton University Medical Center. The Cass County Sheriff's Office withheld his identity Monday night.

Capt. David Lamprecht of the Cass County Sheriff's Office said the victim lives at the house where the shooting occurred, at 205 E. Second St.

Records indicate that the suspect, Steven I. Harrod, lived at the home as well.

The Sheriff's Office described Harrod as white, 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds. Authorities said Harrod, who is considered armed and dangerous, was believed to be in the Lincoln area and was last seen in his white Ford pickup. Anyone who sees him is asked to call 911.

He was one of several people in the cream-colored one-story house when the shooting occurred, Lamprecht said. He didn't say whether they were adults or children. No one else was injured, he said.

Louisville resident Brandy Smith said she drove past the house immediately after the shooting and saw a frantic woman on the sidewalk in front. Dogs from the home were running in the street.

Smith, who was on her way to get medicine for her son, said she drove past the woman but then went back. “I just couldn't drive away,” she said.

She said she asked the woman if she was OK. “My boyfriend's been shot,” Smith was told by the slender blond woman.

Smith said she turned off her car, ran inside the house and initially didn't see anyone. She yelled for the victim. Others in the house told her they were with the victim in a bedroom.

Smith said that when she got to the room, she saw a man on a bed bleeding from his nose and ears and struggling to breathe. There was blood on a wall and on the bed. “It was pretty gruesome,” she said.

Smith said she called 911 and tried to calm and reassure the victim that help was on the way.

The wait seemed like an eternity, she said.

Smith said she asked the man who had shot him, but he was unable to speak.

Witnesses at the house cooperated with investigators, Lamprecht said.

Contact the writer: 402-444-1304,

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.