A 52-year-old man who was shot twice by a Council Bluffs police officer Sunday had escaped from a federal work release facility two days earlier.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said Monday that Michael Hannum was shot by police after he acted aggressively toward two officers.

On Friday, authorities reported that Hannum was a fugitive from the Federal Residential Re-entry Center in Council Bluffs. He had been last seen at the facility at 5:40 a.m. and was discovered missing at 7 a.m., during an inmate count, according to the U.S. Marshal's Office and Iowa State Patrol in Council Bluffs.

Hannum was convicted in 1993 of robbing the Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack of more than $372,000 in what was called the largest cash robbery ever in Omaha at the time.

In Sunday's incident, a woman called Council Bluffs police about 4:45 p.m. and reported seeing a man acting suspiciously and bleeding from his hands at the construction site of a new Walmart store near 16th Street and Nash Boulevard.

Officers Aaron Gutierrez and Jason Burleigh, both 25, found Hannum, whose wrists were bleeding and who was armed with a sharp instrument, according to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. Officers didn't know Hannum's identity when they approached him.

Hannum didn't respond to commands, and his aggressive behavior prompted Burleigh to deploy his Taser, the investigation division said. The stun gun failed to stop Hannum, and he continued to move toward the officers, authorities said. Gutierrez then shot Hannum two times.

Hannum was transported to the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where he remained in critical but stable condition.

Authorities are searching for the woman who originally alerted police. She is asked to contact the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at 712-322-1585 or Council Bluffs Crime Stoppers at 712-328-7867.

Gutierrez and Burleigh were placed on paid, administrative leave. They will not return to work until the investigation into this incident is over, the investigation division said.

The Council Bluffs Police Department asked the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation to review the incident to avoid a conflict of interest. The report will be given to Pottawattamie County Attorney's Office.

According to The World-Herald's archives, Hannum was arrested 12 weeks after the Nov. 30, 1992, robbery at Ak-Sar-Ben. He and an accomplice left with $372,000.

Hannum was apprehended in San Francisco while attempting to flee to Australia, according to news reports at the time. He tried to fake credentials in order to obtain passports for himself and a prostitute.

Federal custom agents said Hannum had been traveling in style, renting limousines and staying at fancy hotels with the woman.

In 1993, he was convicted of robbery and use of a knife to commit a felony.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.