A retired Omaha police sergeant who was severely burned in an accident at his Fort Calhoun home has died.
Jamie Leavitt, 66, was a 30-year member of the Omaha Police Department. A memorial service is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday at Schwertley Hall, 215 N. 13th St. in Fort Calhoun.
Fort Calhoun Fire Chief Dan Mallory said Leavitt was at his home on Oct. 30 when he “stumbled or tripped over a propane heater on the deck,” starting his clothes and the deck on fire. A woman who lives next door came over and used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
“She found (Leavitt) on the deck with all of his clothes burned off,” Mallory said. “He was home alone, and it was a breezy day. We think the wind flared up and caused his clothes to catch fire.”
Mallory said Leavitt suffered severe burns on 75 percent of his body. Fort Calhoun Rescue transported him to the Nebraska Medical Center. He later was transferred to St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. He died Friday.
A search of World-Herald articles found that Leavitt received several commendations during his Omaha police career. While off duty in February 1986, Leavitt apprehended a 15-year-old boy who had robbed the Florence Drug Store armed with a .357 revolver.
Leavitt is survived by his wife, Rose, of Fort Calhoun; sons Jay Leavitt, of Omaha, a lieutenant in the Omaha Police Department, and David Morford, of Marietta, Georgia; daughters Rebecca Katschke, of Bothell, Washington, and Theresa Finan, of Shawnee, Kansas; sisters Jeanne Williams, of Grand Island, and Cinnamon Glick, of Las Vegas; and five grandchildren.