Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the death of a 38-year-old Omaha mother of five during last weekend’s power outage.

Police were called Monday afternoon to a house near 40th Avenue and Spencer Street, where they found Katrina Diaz’s body.

Katrina’s father, Jim Raven, set up a Facebook page to raise money for funeral costs and for Diaz’s five boys after what he called a “very unexpected death.”

It’s unclear exactly what caused the carbon monoxide buildup. The Omaha Fire Department encourages all residents to have working carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms and sleeping areas.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.


Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.