Firefighters on Thursday extinguished a fire in a vacant South Omaha social hall, a former Eagles Club.

Dispatchers learned of the fire at 22nd and N Streets shortly after 6 a.m., Douglas County 911 dispatchers said. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was pouring from the structure, which officials said was unsecured. Firefighters got the fire under control at 6:34 a.m.

No injuries were reported. The property at 2226 N St., valued at about $565,000 by the Douglas County Assessor’s Office, sustained about $10,000 damage.

Over the years, the building had hosted wedding receptions and retirement celebrations.

Sign up for World-Herald news alerts

Be the first to know when news happens. Get the latest breaking headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.