Update, 4:55 p.m.: The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in identifying four Hispanic males who were killed Friday in a two-vehicle crash near Waterloo.

The victims are believed to have been from Fremont and workers at Nebraska Beef, 4501 S. 36th St. in Omaha, said Chief Deputy Marty Bilek.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's tip line at 402-444-6000.

For the second consecutive morning, metro-area motorists died on icy roads.

Four people were killed and another person injured in a two-vehicle crash near Waterloo, Neb., early Friday. A 48-year-old woman was killed in a two-vehicle crash outside Valley during Thursday morning's commute.

Friday's crash happened about 5 a.m. on the Waterloo viaduct near U.S. Highway 275 and West Maple Road, said Marty Bilek, chief Douglas County deputy sheriff.

An eastbound 1998 Honda Civic crossed the center line on the Highway 275/Waterloo viaduct and struck a westbound 2002 Ford pickup truck, Bilek said. Icy road conditions contributed to the accident, he said.

The four people traveling in the Civic were declared dead at the scene. Their names were not released Friday morning.

The pickup driver was taken to Creighton University Medical in center fair condition.

Tammy A. Harris of Valley died just before 7 a.m. Thursday when she lost control of her 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickup and struck an oncoming vehicle at 276th and Ida Streets. She had been driving east on Ida Street in the area of U.S. Highway 275 and Nebraska Highway 64.

Bilek said Harris veered into a 2001 Ford minivan driven by Noah Brase, 30, of Yutan. Brase was taken to Creighton University Medical Center with serious injuries. Both drivers were wearing seat belts.

Bilek said an investigation indicated that fog and ice might have been factors.

Authorities dispatched salt and sand trucks for the Friday morning commute after receiving reports of black ice on some metro-area roads. Even so, multiple accidents were reported throughout eastern Nebraska and western Iowa, forcing authorities to close highways and set up detours for morning commuters.

In Bellevue, a four-vehicle crash slowed travel near the intersection of U.S. Highway 75 and Nebraska Highway 370. Authorities said a medical helicopter took one person in critical condition to the Nebraska Medical Center and a rescue squad transported another person in serious condition following the 7 a.m. crash.

One person suffered minor injuries in a crash east of Gretna on eastbound Nebraska Highway 370 and Nebraska Highway 50, authorities said.

Dodge County Sheriff Steve Hespen said reports of ice-related accidents – most involving vehicles sliding in ditches – began about 3 a.m. Later in the morning, he said, one person suffered minor injuries in a one-vehicle rollover on U.S. Highway 30 and County Road 12 about eight miles west of Fremont. No injuries were reported in a three-car accident in the same area along Highway 30 later Friday morning.

In Iowa, slick roads contributed to as many as 10 crashes in rural Pottawattamie County between 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. A few people were hurt, though their injuries were not considered life-threatening, dispatchers said.

The Iowa State Patrol's office in Atlantic reported at least 10 crashes in the western part of the state Friday morning. None appeared to be life-threatening, patrol dispatchers said.

A 29-year-old Pacific Junction man was taken by medical helicopter to the Univeristy of Nebraska Medical Center after a crash in Mills County about 8:15 a.m.

Justin T. Nuckolls, was driving a 1999 Ford Ranger northbound on County Road L55 when he lost control as the roadway curved. Nuckolls was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected, according to the Iowa State Patrol.

The slick road condition were not expected to return Saturday morning, said Van DeWald, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service Office in Valley, Neb., which serves eastern Nebraska and western Iowa.

DeWald said icy bridges and roads resulted from moisture that moved into the area Thursday morning at low levels of the atmosphere and didn't get pushed out by winds during the day.

Because Friday was forecast to be windy, DeWald said the moisture wouldn't linger into the overnight hours and refreeze when temperatures drop.

That's what happened Thursday and Friday, DeWald said.

Dense fog moved in Thursday morning, causing visibility problems and slick roads and bridge surfaces.

Because winds were relatively calm Thursday, the fog didn't lift fully during the day, even though temperatures climbed into the 40s. As a result, denser fog redeveloped at night and then froze to surfaces as temperatures dropped. The overnight low for Omaha was 26 degrees.

--- World-Herald staff writer Maggie O'Brien contributed to this report.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.