SERGEANT BLUFF (AP) — Authorities said flames from a northwest Iowa yard waste fire spread to a barn after the man tending the fire went inside for supper.

Firefighters were sent to the Sergeant Bluff property a little before 7 p.m. Thursday. Crews from eight departments kept the blaze from igniting gasoline and other fuels inside the barn and spreading to a large propane tank nearby. Woodbury County Sheriff's Sgt. David Benson said the firefighters' teamwork also kept the blaze from reaching two nearby homes.

Boats, classic cars and tools inside the barn were damaged. No injuries have been reported.

Benson said the man tending the fire didn't need a permit to burn the yard waste and won't be cited. But Benson says the man made a mistake by going inside to eat supper.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.