SIOUX CITY, Iowa — Authorities say two people found dead in their Sioux City home probably died of smoke inhalation.

The two were identified on Thursday as Susan and Steve Smid, both 58. She was a music teacher for the Sioux City school district. He worked for the district's food services.

Their bodies were found inside their home Thursday morning.

Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph said the fire started on top of a stove and later went out because of a lack of oxygen.

Firefighters found a smoke detector that was damaged by the fire, but it is unclear whether it was working. Firefighters revived the couple's dog, which was found in the home.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.