GRAND ISLAND, Neb. — Slag from a blowtorch may have ignited fuel from a salvage vehicle, starting a fire at H&H Owl Auto Parts on Monday morning.

Slag is the waste material from metals produced by cutting or smelting.

Grand Island Fire Division Chief Tim Hiemer said employees at the business were removing a fuel tank from a van when it was dropped and fuel from the tank spilled. “We’re not 100 percent sure why it ignited, but we think it may have been hot slag from the cutting torch,” Hiemer said.

The fuel burned, as did the van being stripped. Part of the building also was damaged, Hiemer said. The fire was reported at 8:50 a.m. Monday and was under control at 9:10 a.m.

The building was cleared when the fire was reported, according to scanner traffic. No one was injured, Hiemer said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.