DES MOINES — Authorities say a person who was smoking a cigarette while on a home oxygen tank caused an apartment fire in Des Moines.

Des Moines firefighters say two residents suffered smoke inhalation during the Tuesday night fire. The person smoking the cigarette also suffered burns and was transported to a hospital burn unit.

The fire was contained to one apartment and was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. Damage to the building is estimated at $20,000.

This is the city’s third fire this year that’s related to someone smoking while on home oxygen.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.