The Tecumseh State Prison 

LINCOLN — An overdose of illegal drugs caused last month’s death of a 22-year-old inmate at the Tecumseh State Prison.

A copy of an official death certificate obtained Wednesday by The World-Herald stated that Daelan LaMere of Omaha died of “combined amphetamine/Ecstasy (MDMA) overdose.”

The certificate also indicated that LaMere had suffered a heart attack when he died June 6 in the intensive care unit of a Lincoln hospital.

In addition, an autopsy was conducted, which determined the death was accidental, according to the certificate.

At the time of LaMere’s death, the Department of Correctional Services issued a press release stating that meth and Ecstasy had been detected in the inmate’s system and that an autopsy had been ordered.

The Nebraska State Patrol launched an investigation to determine how LaMere obtained the drugs in the maximum-security prison near Tecumseh.

Dawn-Renee Smith, spokeswoman for the Corrections Department, said no staff members have been implicated in LaMere’s death, nor has disciplinary action been taken. She also believed the investigation remains ongoing.

Prison staff were called on May 27 to LaMere’s cell, where he was found unresponsive and struggling to breathe.

He was taken to the hospital in Tecumseh before being transferred to Lincoln, where he remained on life support without regaining consciousness before his death.

Because LaMere died in state custody, a grand jury investigation must be conducted.

He was sentenced in Douglas County to six to 11 years after pleading no contest to four counts of robbery at a convenience store and one count of use of a firearm to commit a felony.

His sentence began in 2013, and he would have been eligible for parole starting next year.

His mandatory release was scheduled for 2020, according to prison records.

LaMere was the fourth inmate from the Tecumseh prison to die this year.

Charges have not yet been filed in the deaths of the two inmates killed during a March 2 melee in which a housing unit was taken over by roughly 60 prisoners for more than three hours.

In April, a third inmate, who was close to being released, was found slain in his cell; his cellmate, who was serving a life term for first-degree murder, has been charged in connection with that death.

joe.duggan@owh.com, 402-473-9587

Sign up for World-Herald news alerts

Be the first to know when news happens. Get the latest breaking headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.