A student at Northwest High School was removed from the school Tuesday after he allegedly said in text messages that he would enjoy shooting up the school. Officials said he had a list of students he would target.

In a letter that went out to parents Wednesday afternoon, Northwest Principal Thomas Lee said students told administrators about their classmate making threats against the school.

Omaha police were contacted, and the student was removed from the school, Lee said.

“We take these threats very seriously and the student will be disciplined accordingly,” Lee said in the letter. “We are working with our District Safety Office, our on-site security team and the Omaha Police Department to ensure the safety of our school environment. Disciplinary action will be enforced per our Student Code of Conduct.”

Lee commended the students for notifying school officials.

According to a police report, several students reported Tuesday morning that the 14-year-old boy had sent them text messages saying he would enjoy shooting up the school, and he had a list of students he would target.

The report said administrators cleared the student’s locker.

Northwest is at 8204 Crown Point Ave.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Emily covers K-12 education, including Omaha Public Schools. Previously, Emily covered local government and the Nebraska Legislature for The World-Herald. Follow her on Twitter @emily_nitcher. Phone: 402-444-1192.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.