Douglas County sheriff's deputies fired gas into Mark L'Heureux's northwest Omaha home five separate times during their 25-hour standoff with the suspect. 

A timeline released Tuesday night by the Sheriff's Office details the efforts deputies went to, along with the Omaha Police Department and Fire Department. Besides firing gas into the home in multiple locations, deputies also deployed five flash bangs to no apparent effect. 

Throughout the standoff near 83rd and Keystone Streets, which stretched from Friday night into Saturday evening, L'Heureux, 59, reacted little to authorities' efforts to rouse him or communicate.

A little more than 15 hours into the standoff, the Fire Department assisted in using a fire hose to send water into the basement, in hopes that it would make L'Heureux uncomfortable enough to come out. The Fire Department also turned off utilities to the home to "cause further discomfort."

In order to help get hoses inside, the Omaha Police bomb team made two "explosive breaches" into the home. Water was sprayed into the home multiple times to try and force him out.

At one point, about 22 hours into the standoff, officers believed L'Heureux may have hypothermia, as he'd been "exposed to sub freezing temperatures for more than 8 hours."

The police bomb team made two more blasts, including one on a window just above where L'Heureux was lying face down on the floor. 

"The charge was intended to create a loud explosion that would cause most people to at least flinch," the Sheriff's Office release said. "When the charge went off, breaking out the window, there was no movement" by L'Heureux.

About 15 minutes later, 22 hours into the incident, officers set off a flash bang, again just above where he was lying. When L'Heureux didn't move, K9 unit Kobus was sent in. He was shot two minutes later. 

Throughout the 26 hours, officers made attempt after attempt to contact L'Heureux, by calling his cellphone, by texting, via a robot, with a P.A., with recorded messages from his family, via a telephone thrown into the home and verbally. He did not engage with officers until about an hour before he surrendered, beginning by shouting profanity. He did not begin "a dialogue with officers" until 10 minutes before he left his basement with his hands up. 

At a hearing Tuesday, L’Heureux, 59, was charged with attempted second-degree murder, use of a weapon to commit a felony and harassment resulting in the death of a police dog. His bail was set at $1.5 million. Officials plan to transfer him to the Lincoln Regional Center for a mental competency evaluation.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.