An Omaha gang unit officer was shot Tuesday near 30th Street and Laurel Avenue.

Officer Kenneth Fortune was shot in the shoulder, The World-Herald has learned, and is in stable condition at the hospital. Fortune was also shot at in December but was not hit.

According to Deputy Chief Scott Gray, the officer and two other gang unit officers conducted a traffic stop just before 4 p.m. One man in the stopped vehicle ran and shot at the officers, Gray said.

Police returned fire.

Fortune and the man were wounded. Both were taken to the Nebraska Medical Center in critical condition, but both are stable, Gray said.

A tweet from the city’s police union said that the officer was receiving medical treatment but was “ok at this time.”

Gray said he doesn’t know why the traffic stop was conducted. The passenger started shooting while running away, Gray said. The driver, uninjured, is in custody.

“The officers face a lot of dangerous situations,” Gray said. “It appears at this time that both the suspect and officer will be OK.”

Gray said he doesn’t know how many shots were fired or how many officers fired shots. At least one officer fired shots, the deputy chief said.

Neighbors in the area said they heard five to eight shots. Police established a wide perimeter around the scene.

An investigation into the shooting will be undertaken by the department’s officer-involved team, Gray said.

Fortune, 42, has been with the department for nearly 11 years. He is a member of the Black Police Officers Association and is a baseball coach in the Police Athletics for Community Engagement program.

A long stretch of North 30th Street was closed around the shooting scene. As rush hour approached, traffic was pushed onto side streets. At least one crash occurred as drivers tried to find their way through neighborhoods.

Omaha police said late Tuesday that more details would be released on Wednesday.

Sept. 11 was the 15th anniversary of when Omaha Police Officer Jason “Tye” Pratt was fatally shot while on duty in 2003.

A man had run from officers after a traffic stop and Pratt joined the officers who were searching for him. He encountered the man hiding in bushes, and the man shot Pratt in the head. The officer remained in a coma for a week before his death, and police administrators paid tribute to him one day before he died by promoting him to sergeant.

Pratt left behind a wife and two daughters.

World-Herald staff writer Nancy Gaarder contributed to this report.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Alia Conley covers breaking news, crime, crime trends, the Omaha Police Department and initial court hearings. Follow her on Twitter @aliavalentine. Phone: 402-444-1068.

Nancy Gaarder helps cover public safety and weather events as an editor on The World-Herald's breaking news desk. Follow her on Twitter @gaarder. Phone: 402-444-1102.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.