A man accused of fatally shooting an Army sergeant outside a bar stole his necklaces and later admitted to the shooting, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday.

Kyle LeFlore, 27, was shot in the chest at close range and died soon after being rushed to the hospital early Jan. 6. His funeral service and burial were held Tuesday.

Larry Goynes, 27, has been charged with first-degree murder and was ordered held without bail.

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said he also plans to file a weapon-use charge in connection with the case.

LeFlore was outside Reign Lounge, 8919 N. 30th St., just before 2 a.m. Jan. 6 when he was shot near his vehicle, prosecutor Eric Fabian said Tuesday.

“The defendant was at the scene, admitted to shooting the victim, and had the victim’s necklace and a firearm on his person,” Fabian said.

LeFlore’s father has said he had heard that the shooter wanted LeFlore’s diamond-encrusted wedding ring, but his son couldn’t get it off. He also said he had heard that the robber may have gotten nervous.

LeFlore was just days from moving to Arizona for a promotion. He was back in Omaha for a couple of weeks, visiting family and friends over the holidays before taking on the new position, his family said. He recently had returned from a tour of duty in South Korea. Earlier, his father said, he served two tours in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.

Goynes’ attorney, Mallory Hughes, said she had information that the alleged admission to the shooting was made to a third party, not to law enforcement officers. In addition, she said, Goynes cannot be connected to any jewelry or firearm.

She said the slaying was a “horrible crime” because LeFlore was a member of the U.S. Army.

“OPD needed to make an arrest and close this case, frankly, so six days later, our client is arrested not based on anything other than what a third party, whose credibility we have no information about, said.”

Hughes also said she had received information that photos on Facebook “that show nothing with respect to any sort of a shooting” led to the arrest of Goynes.

Kleine said any allegation that authorities were under pressure to make an arrest was unfounded.

“That’s not accurate,” Kleine said. “The evidence will speak for itself.”

Goynes shook his head after the hearing.

A funeral service for LeFlore was held Tuesday morning at Greater Beth-el Temple, 1502 N. 52nd St. A graveside service with military honors was held Tuesday afternoon at Omaha National Cemetery.

alia.conley@owh.com, 402-444-1068

Alia Conley covers breaking news, crime, crime trends, the Omaha Police Department and initial court hearings. Follow her on Twitter @aliavalentine. Phone: 402-444-1068.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.