Jeremy Jorgenson in court

A former Omaha attorney who represented quadruple murderer Anthony Garcia appeared in court Wednesday after being being accused of breaking the arm of his 7-year-old stepson.

A former Omaha attorney is accused of breaking his stepson’s arm and then driving past the nearest hospital because he, his wife and the boy had not yet concocted a cover-up story, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Jeremy Jorgenson, 43, is charged with intentional child abuse and tampering with a witness, both felonies. He was ordered held on $30,000 bail Wednesday morning. He posted 10 percent of that amount, or $3,000, and was released.

Jorgenson also waived his preliminary hearing, meaning he will stand trial on the charges.

Jorgenson was booked into the Douglas County Jail about 7:15 p.m. Monday.

Omaha police officers went to a home in the Field Club neighborhood Sunday evening after receiving a call from a family member about a child who had been injured.

Jorgenson and his wife were arguing in the upstairs bedroom of a home near 30th and Poppleton Avenues about 4 p.m. Sunday, according to a police narrative. Jorgenson’s 7-year-old stepson came in and threw a toy, hitting Jorgenson in the head, police said.

Jorgenson grabbed the boy by his shirt collar and carried him toward the stairs, the spot reserved for a “timeout,” police said.

Minutes later, police said, Jorgenson’s wife heard a loud noise and the boy shriek in pain. The boy later told police that Jorgenson had been choking him as his feet dangled in the air and then threw him down the stairs, according to a court document. The boy said it was hard to breathe, according to the court document, and when he landed, he heard his wrist crack.

While driving to seek care, Jorgenson told his wife and stepson that they must tell a fake story about what happened so he wouldn’t get in trouble, police said.

“(Jorgenson) was refusing to go to an ER because he was afraid he would go to jail,” according to the court document.

Jorgenson drove past the Nebraska Medical Center because the three had not yet come up with a story, and drove farther to an urgent care, prosecutor Eric Fabian said.

All three told doctors the boy had fallen while playing with a toy gun, Fabian said. After the doctor visit, Jorgenson and his wife took the boy to Don & Millie’s restaurant to get a cheeseburger and ice cream, according to the court document.

The court document stated that the boy had a red mark around his neck and a fractured left radial bone.

State officials placed the boy and his two siblings into temporary foster care.

Jorgenson and several Chicago lawyers represented Anthony Garcia, who was convicted in October 2016 of four counts of murder. Garcia awaits a March hearing to determine whether he will get the death penalty.

On Feb. 5, the Nebraska Supreme Court ordered Jorgenson to be indefinitely suspended from the practice of law. The court set a minimum of two years for the suspension, with no end date.

The reprimand stemmed from another client’s case, in which Jorgenson failed to appear for oral arguments before the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2016.

Sign up for The World-Herald's afternoon updates

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Alia Conley covers breaking news, crime, crime trends, the Omaha Police Department and initial court hearings. Follow her on Twitter @aliavalentine. Phone: 402-444-1068.

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Recommended for you

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.