Northeast Community College in Norfolk has gone beyond brick-and-mortar classrooms to offer a dual-credit computer programming class to Norfolk High School students through “the cloud.”

Instructor Richard Chrisman previously taught programming through the Technology Academy of Northeast Nebraska, where high school students traveled to the Norfolk campus to earn high school and college credit. The academy ended, however, when its grant funding ran out.

In the “Classroom in the Cloud” pilot project, students log onto the Northeast server, which lets Chrisman see their computer screens. He uses chat room software to communicate with them via microphones and headsets.

“Students didn't need to be in the classroom with me,” he said. “They could be in front of a computer at their desk at home or school.”

Experts to present seminar on Eiseley

Reknowned naturalist Loren Eiseley will be the topic of a Jan.16 seminar at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Tom Lynch, a UNL associate professor of English, and Susan Maher, liberal arts dean at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, will discuss their jointly edited book, “Artifacts and Illuminations: Critical Essays on Loren Eiseley.” The work is the first full-length collection of essays analyzing Eiseley's work.

Eiseley, who died in 1977, was a Lincoln native who became one of the 20th century's most influential nature writers and philosophers of science.

The seminar, which begins at 3:30 p.m. at the Great Plains Art Museum, 1155 Q St. in Lincoln, is the lead-off event for the spring semester of the Paul A. Olson Seminars in Great Plains Studies.

File one application for five Iowa aid programs

Iowa college students can now apply for five state-administered financial aid programs through one application.

The five programs provided a combined $8 million in assistance to students for the 2011-12 academic year. In the past, students had to submit a separate application for each program: the All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship, the All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant, the Terry E. Branstad Iowa State Fair Scholarship, the Education and Training Voucher Program and the Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program.

Iowa high school seniors, as well as returning college students, are urged to complete the application as soon as possible to have the best chance for receiving assistance.

Iowa students also should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is used to determine eligibility for federal grants and student loans, as well as for other state programs and, in some cases, financial aid from colleges and universities.

FAFSA remains the primary application for several need-based Iowa programs.

The 2013-14 Iowa Financial Aid Application can be obtained through More information about financial aid can be obtained by contacting Iowa College Aid at (877) 272-4456 or by visiting

UNL money center earns top award

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln's Student Money Management Center was recently named the 2012 Outstanding Financial Counseling and Planning Education Center by the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education.

The UNL center competed against several higher education financial education programs for the national award.

Established in 2010, the center provides one-on-one money management advising, financial education workshops and a variety of interactive financial education activities for UNL students. The award was based on program quality, innovation and responsiveness to student needs.

For more information, visit

Online classes offered for disabled people

Southeast Community College now offers a free online class to assist people with intellectual or developmental disabilities and their independent service providers.

The “Together We Can!” course will be offered free of charge through the end of the year. It offers six modules to help disabled people and their service providers work together to find more opportunities to live, work and participate in the community. The course was developed through a grant from the Nebraska Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities.

Independent providers are people who work under contract with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services to provide services and support for people with an intellectual or a developmental disability.

For more information, contact Diane Siefkes, training consultant in SCC's Continuing Education Division, by dialing (402) 323-3386 or emailing

Contact the writer: 402-473-9581,

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.