Omaha fire officials said Saturday they had not determined the cause of an apartment fire that critically injured a woman and her infant.

The fire Friday at the Plaza 93 West Apartments, 3310 N. 93rd St., caused an estimated $100,000 damage to the structure, said Battalion Chief Tim McCaw, a Fire Department spokesman.

Julie Klabunde-Jones, mother of the infant, remained in critical condition Saturday at the Nebraska Medical Center, a spokeswoman said.

The child was hospitalized at Children's Hospital & Medical Center.

The fire originated in the kitchen next to the front door, blocking the woman's exit. She and the infant were rescued by firefighters through a second-floor window opening.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.