Omaha-area firefighters stayed busy Thursday, responding to blazes from Springfield to midtown Omaha.
The Springfield fire destroyed three apartment units and required help from Gretna and Papillion firefighters. No one was hurt, though some residents were displaced from a house that had been converted to apartments.
In Omaha, a woman was severely burned in a fire at 6354 N. 107th Court. Battalion Chief Robb Gottsch said the occupants were cooking with oil about 2:30 p.m. when it caught fire.
A woman tried to take the oil outside, but it spilled on her arms and legs. “They were pretty serious burns,” Gottsch said. If oil catches on fire, he said, turn off the stove rather than try to move the oil.
About the same time, firefighters were called to a house fire near 41st and Pacific Streets.
When firefighters arrived, dark smoke was pouring out of the house. The fire started in the basement and spread to the first floor. No one was injured. The fire started when items too close to a space heater caught fire, authorities said.