DES MOINES — Iowa's attorney general said his office is joining a multistate investigation to determine whether Facebook has violated any antitrust laws.
Nebraska is also involved in the inquiry.
Attorney General Tom Miller says Facebook's dominance over communications and information is concerning and warrants the investigation he's leading along with eight other attorneys general.
Miller says the goal is to determine whether Facebook's actions "may have endangered user data, reduced the quality of consumers' choices, or stifled competition." He says the inquiry is in the early stages and has reached no conclusions.
Facebook said in a statement Friday it plans to "work constructively" with the state attorneys general and welcomes a conversation with policymakers about competition.
The other states involved in the inquiry are Colorado, Florida, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee and the District of Columbia.
1 of 5
1. Turbines. The wind farm's turbines are activated when the wind reaches speeds of 6 mph or higher. The farm features 101 turbines spread over 55 square miles.
2. The nacelle. High above the ground, about 280 feet up, a box at the top each turbine tower called a nacelle houses a rotor that spins. As the rotor turns, a shaft linked to a gearbox drives a generator, producing an electric current.
3. Cables. That current travels down the turbine's tower to a transformer on the ground, which increases the voltage. The electricity is then sent underground cables to an electrical substation located near the wind farm's administration building.
4. The substation. After the energy enters the substation, transformers increase the voltage to 236,000 volts to match the high voltage lines of the state’s power grid. The energy is then sent to the power grid.
5. Facebook's data center. Facebook then buys power from the Omaha Public Power District, which in turn purchased the power from the wind farm. This allows the facility’s thousands of servers to hum around the clock, so the social media giant’s users can like, post and share.