Habitat for Humanity buys north Omaha property for new headquarters

A rendering of the new Habitat for Humanity headquarters.


Omaha's Habitat for Humanity is giving up its old fire station digs.

The nonprofit organization known for constructing houses for low-income buyers has bought a bigger north Omaha property to call home.

Habitat's purchase of 1701 N. 24th St. will give it 35,000 square feet — more than twice the space it had in the old headquarters, a former fire station at 2204 Ames Ave.

The move also will allow all facets of the local Habitat, including office staff, construction materials and vehicles, to be on one campus, said spokeswoman Tracie McPherson.

Some employees already were at the site under a lease with the previous owner; others will move in as existing tenants move out and renovations by RDG Architects are complete.

The anticipated $3 million purchase and renovation cost is to be paid off with the just-launched $6 million capital campaign, whose proceeds also will help finance more housing projects. About $2.25 million of campaign money is earmarked to buy and run Habitat's second “ReStore” at 108th Street and West Maple Road.

Habitat has leased and operated the northwest Omaha ReStore space at 10930 Emmet St. since August. The home improvement outlet, open to the public, sells donated goods at a discounted rate to raise money for Habitat projects.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.