Choosing a pediatrician is just one of the many decisions a new parent makes when expecting a baby.
What are the benefits of choosing a pediatrician for an infant or child? A pediatrician is a physician who has three additional years of medical training specifically in the health and well-being of infants, children and adolescents. They offer expertise in child development, behavior, preventative medicine and the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic illnesses.
Boys Town Pediatrics is here to help parents choose a pediatrician that best fits their family’s needs.
How to choose a pediatrician?
Choosing a pediatrician is typically done prior to the delivery of a baby. This gives families the opportunity to meet and select a physician doctor who will become a big part of your family’s life. Below are some questions to ask a pediatrician during a prenatal visit.
• What are your clinic hours?
• Do you have more than one location?
• What pediatric specialty services does the clinic offer?
• Are you board certified in pediatrics?
• What is your philosophy regarding breast feeding, antibiotics and non-traditional medicine?
• Who will I speak with if I have a question regarding my child during office hours?
• What happens if I have questions regarding my child after hours?
• How far in advance do health care maintenance visits need to be scheduled?
• What is appointment availability like for sick visits?
• Who are the physicians who will care for my child if my pediatrician is not available?
An introductory visit can answer your newborn questions and it can also begin a relationship between you and your child’s doctor.
When would your child see a pediatrician?
Pediatricians typically began care with a baby after birth. They will see your child on a regular basis throughout life. During the first two years of life, well baby visits should be scheduled at two to five days of life, 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months and 24 months. During these healthcare visits, a pediatrician will check on any parental concerns, screen for developmental delays, discuss and provide vaccines, and provide guidance on nutrition, sleep patterns, growth and safety issues.
At Boys Town Pediatrics, we offer locations across the Omaha-metro area where Omaha children can schedule appointments seven days a week with our same-day pediatrics service. Find a pediatrician today and schedule a free meeting at 402-498-6540 to find your new bundle of joy’s perfect fit.