The Wienermobile is visiting Omaha-area grocery stores through Sunday as part of its promotional tour for Oscar Mayer, so here are five fun facts about the hot dog on wheels:
1. The Wienermobile has been around in one form or another since 1936, with the first one created by Carl Mayer, Oscar's nephew.
2. The current version seats six and is built on a Chevrolet truck chassis. The hot dog is made of customized fiberglass. The seats are captain's chairs in red and yellow — for ketchup and mustard, of course.
3. The rolling hot dog is is 27 feet long (the equivalent of 60 hot dogs) and 11 feet tall (24 hot dogs).
4. There are six Wienermobiles touring the country, appearing at stores, parades and other events.
5. A two-person team consisting mostly of recent college graduates are assigned to each Wienermobile, and they love hot dog puns. The crew wears "meat belts" while driving, open the "bun roof" on nice days and have "bundergraduate" degrees in "meateorology."