To Beth Wilson, the essence of Aksarben is nothing short of a masterpiece.
When she reflected on the philanthropy and volunteerism in the region, the Women's Ball Committee chairman's task of selecting a theme for the 123rd Aksarben Ball became easy: Celebrating the Masterpieces of the Heartland.
“It is the people and places of Nebraska and western Iowa which make up the true masterpieces of the Heartland,” Wilson said. “This event will spotlight those citizens based on their extraordinary contributions to our region.”
The ball, which will be held Oct. 19 at CHI Health Center, will spotlight Nebraska’s rich and vibrant masterpieces through art, literature and its own landscape, while paying homage to Aksarben’s history and leadership.
Each year, the ball raises funds to help carry out the mission and initiatives of the Aksarben Foundation. These funds go toward scholarships that have helped young men and women pursue higher learning.
Presenting details of the ball at the recent Aksarben: In the Loop gathering were Princess Chairman Jessica Covi, Heartland Princess Chairman Sheila Nelson, Production Chairman Sam Hohman, Court of Honor Chairman Jennifer Alloway, Standard Bearer Chairman Dana Zeiss, Royal Court Supper Chairman Emily Jung, Royal Court Welcome Chairman Jennifer Alloway, Royal Court Brunch Chairman Ellie Grace assisted by Shelly Grote, Regale Chairmen Sarah McGowan and Samantha Wahl, Invitation Chairman Laura Enenbach, Page Luncheon Chairman Christine Schulte and Scholarship Chairman Emily Jung.
Christie Oberto, the adviser to the Women's Ball Committee, hosted the event.
The Women’s Ball Committee also unveiled the entire team that will serve as key partners in bringing this year’s Aksarben Ball to life.
• Scriptwriter — M. Michele Phillips and Mark Hoeger
• Director — Patrick Roddy
• Video producer — Mark Hoeger
• Set and lighting designer — Jim Othuse
• Musical director — Tom Ware
• Ball announcers — John Lee and M. Michele Phillips
• Choreographer — Allyson Pfortmiller
• Sound designer and technical coordinator — Tom Ware
• Stage manager — Lara Marsh
• IMAG LED screens and media production — Dog & Pony Productions
• Live video — Mr. Video Productions
• Lighting — Theatrical Media Service
• Audio — Audio Visions Pro Sound
The Royal Court appointments:
• Royal Court couturier — Denise Ervin
• Royal Court designer — Denise Ervin Designs
• Royal Court florist — Mark Griffith with Bouquet
• Royal Court coiffeur — Creative Hair Design
• Royal Court photographer — Dwyer Photography, MDP Inc.
• Royal Court caterer — Levy
• Royal Court table top designer — AAA Rents and Event Services
• Royal Court invitations — Diane Ames, Diane's Stationary & Invitations
• Royal Court formal wear — Mr. Tuxedo
• Entertainment — Finest Hour
• Page clothiers — Merrily Boler and Judy Glesne