Picnics make summer better! With Joslyn Castle as a backdrop to illustrate the point, we couldn’t help but recall “Downton Abbey” and those lavish picnics with servants carrying the silver and crystal along.
Our spread is a bit more down-to-earth, because who wants all that fuss?
Nothing should get in the way of a good time — whether it’s an impromptu picnic in the backyard or a standing outdoor concert date with friends.
Here are a few essentials for entertaining yourself in style.
Basket, tote or cooler
- Who What Wear straw tote, $34.99, Target
- Waxed canvas Bordeaux Tote No. 503, $298, Artifact
- A New Day backpack, $29.99, Target
- Canvas Day Tote No. 103, $98, Artifact
- Vacances thermal-lined cooler, $40, Spruce
Blanket, tablecloth, napkins
- Threshold plaid blanket, $24.99, Target
- Opal House boho throw, $34.99, Target
- Firefly hand towel, $12, Spruce
- Lemon print towel, $9.95, Williams Sonoma
Reusable containers + utensils
- Iznik melamine plates, $12.95 each, Williams Sonoma
- Two’s Company “Finest Catch” bottle opener/corkscrew/knife, $20, Spruce
- Threshold melamine bowls, $1.99 each, Target
- Threshold shatterproof wine glasses, $1.99 each, Target
- Charcuterie plates of meats, cheeses, olives, nuts, crackers and fruits. Assembled on site for easier transport.
- Mini bottles of wine, available in supermarket aisles
- Corkcicle “Arctican” beverage can cooler, $19.95, Williams Sonoma
- Corkcicle 25-ounce canteen, $37.95, Williams Sonoma
- S’well “Marina” water bottle, $42, Spruce
- S’well “The Original” water bottle, $45, Spruce
Tunes + games
- Use your iPhone to create a playlist, or tune in to a favorite Pandora station.
- Bring a book, game, bubbles or Frisbee to extend your time outdoors.