Eons ago, I caught the journalism bug as a high schooler working at my hometown weekly, the Oakland Independent.
Shirley and Bob Bogue were the editors and publishers who took me under their wing and taught me how to fly.
Shirley had a “More or Less Personal” column during her 30-year career, and in 2000, the Bogues published a book of selected columns and sent me a copy. The inscription, in Shirley’s handwriting, read: “To Chris – One of our more illustrious proteges.”
I was surprised and flattered to find myself on page 153, under the header: “Chris Earns Her Spurs.”
After all these years, I still think about the impression the Bogues made on me after that initial summer of learning and doing before I headed to college.
I said it to Shirley back then and I feel it today: “I never knew that working could be such fun!”
Now the tables are turned. I’m the boss and mentor saying goodbye to a starry-eyed intern who wowed us with a finesse far beyond her years, got hired immediately after college and blossomed into a valued collaborative partner during her five years with The World-Herald.
With our November-December issue, delivered to World-Herald subscribers on Nov. 4, we bid farewell to creative director and designer Heidi Hoffman. She's embarking on a new challenge as a social media editor for Koch Industries in Wichita, Kansas.
Congrats, Heidi. You’ve earned your spurs!
As we gear up for the holiday season, here are some morsels from “Serial Entertainer” Steven Stolman’s recent appearance at the 15th annual Lauritzen Gardens Antiques Show:
• “You have to throw your own parties if you want to be invited to others.”
• “Candles, greenery and crystal are all you need for a gorgeous tabletop.”
• “The only way to get a wonderful patina in a home is to fill it with things that have a history. Otherwise, it’s a showroom.”
• “The secret to a perfect cocktail party is wonderful guests, a well-equipped bar, all-purpose wine glasses to take the fear away (from breakage), top-shelf liquor and an easy menu.”
• “Every great meal needs a finale. Serve an impressive dessert.”
• “Silver polishing can be therapeutic.”
Happy Holidays, everyone!