A 74-year-old man died and his sister was in serious condition after they were accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide inside a northwest Douglas County home, authorities said Friday.

The siblings were found about 2:15 p.m. by Omaha firefighters in a townhouse at 14456 Browne St.

Terry Hart and his sister Joyce Porter, 72, arrived at Hart's home about 8 p.m. Thursday and accidentally left a 2013 Kia Optima running inside the closed garage, said Capt. Steve Glandt of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

When Hart and Porter did not meet another sister for lunch Friday, the sister and her daughter went to Hart's home and found him dead in his bed in a bedroom above the garage, Glandt said.

Porter was found alive in a basement bedroom. She was pulled from the home through the walkout basement and was being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at the Nebraska Medical Center, Glandt said.

It is not clear whether the house was equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, Glandt said. There were no alarms sounding when authorities arrived.

Hart's death and Porter's injury were accidental, and no foul play is suspected, Glandt said.

Contact the writer: 402-444-3106, emerson.clarridge@owh.com

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

Load comments

You must be a full digital subscriber to read this article You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.