LAGOS, Nigeria — At least 50 people were killed when attackers suspected of being Islamist insurgents struck a village Saturday night in northeastern Nigeria, the News Agency of Nigeria reported Sunday.

The attack in Dalori came as people gathered for evening prayers, a resident said.

"Many people including children and the elderly who could not escape the attack were either shot dead or burned alive by the attackers, who came in large numbers," said Aliyu Usman, who is taking refuge in Maiduguri.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which lasted about three hours, but the insurgent group Boko Haram is the chief suspect.

Suicide bombers have frequently targeted northeastern Nigeria. Eight people were killed in a bomb attack at a market in Gombi on Friday, and nine people died in a similar attack Wednesday in Chibok.

It was in Chibok where members of Boko Haram abducted 276 schoolgirls from a state secondary school in 2014. The girls have not been seen since.

General linked to mass murder reinstated, Amnesty says

LAGOS, Nigeria — Nigeria has reinstated Maj. Gen. Ahmadu Mohammed, who was implicated in mass murder, London-based Amnesty International said Sunday.

The rights group called for an investigation last year of nine senior commanders, including Mohammed, for responsibility for war crimes, including the deaths of more than 8,000 detainees since 2011.— AP

Commenting is limited to Omaha World-Herald subscribers. To sign up, click here.

If you're already a subscriber and need to activate your access or log in, click here.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.