They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky. And now they're on the big screen once again in The Addams Family (Oct. 11), the first 3D computer-animated comedy about the family based on the merrily macabre cartoons of Charles Addams. His drawings were the basis of an iconic TV sitcom (1964–66), a Saturday-morning cartoon in the '70s and three live-action movies in the 1990s, The Addams Family, Addams Family Values and Addams Family Reunion. Here are five fun facts about the new film, which features the voices of Charlize Theron, 44, andOscar Isaac, 40, as Morticia and Gomez Addams.
1. The movie tells how Gomez and Morticia meet, find a home in Westfield, N.J. (Charles Addams' hometown), and start their family.
2. The look of the new film is based on Addams' cartoons in The New Yorker, which were first published in 1938.
3. Addams modeled Gomez on actor Peter Lorre and Morticia on actress Gloria Swanson.
4. Bette Midler will voice the role of Grandmama, and Allison Janney is Margaux Needler, Morticia's archnemesis.
5. The braids of Wednesday (Chloë Grace Moretz) are styled into nooses, a new 'do for the tyke.
Go to Parade.com/addams for themovie's creepy connection to Sleepy Hollow.