Noteworthy honors and achievements by individuals and organizations:
The Omaha Downtown Rotary Club Foundation recently awarded the Omaha Community Playhouse a $4,000 grant for scholarships through the Playhouse's Theatre Technology Apprenticeship program. Double the amount from previous years, two $2,000 scholarships were awarded to Krist Montgomery and Devon Adams. The Theatre Technology Apprenticeship Program is a two-year intensive program at the Playhouse in partnership with Metropolitan Community College. It offers hands-on training for students in the various technical aspects of theater — carpentry, electrics, audio, costume, props, front of house and theater management — while earning credits and working toward a degree.
The Nebraska Diplomats Passport Weekend took place last weekend with 320 people attending the CEO Roundtable and evening banquet at the Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln. The diplomats hosted company representatives from Belgium, China, Japan, Spain, California, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio and Texas.
The following awards were presented at the banquet:
• Diplomat of the Year to Wayne McKinney of Kearney.
• Community of the Year to the city of Norfolk.
• Businesses of the Year to WASP Inc. of Falls City; Hexagon-Lincoln of Lincoln; and NebraskaLand National Bank of North Platte.
• Power in the Partnership to the Nebraska Trucking Association of Lincoln.
• The Ambassador Plenipotentiary Award to Gov. Dave Heineman.