Nebraska’s win over Arkansas State didn’t impress oddsmakers and sports bettors in Las Vegas.
Jeremy Menagh, 16, does a last-minute review of the rules from the back of “Skip’s Rocket” while waiting for his turn in the 4-H horse show competition at Aksarben on Sept. 19, 2000. Menagh, from Elmwood, Nebraska, was a member of the Bridle and Saddle 4-H Club.
Photos: World-Herald Week in Pictures: September 4-10, 2016
Cannon smoke hung in the air at Pawnee City Historical Days with Civil War Reenactments in Pawnee, City, Neb., on Sept. 16, 2004. The men were reenacting the Battle of Perryville, which took place in 1862.
Photos: World-Herald Week in Pictures: August 28-September 3, 2016
Eli Camel, an Old Market vendor, takes a break by resting on sacks of potatoes in this photo from 1937.
Albert Paley’s “Odyssey” takes shape on the 24th Street overpass of Interstate 80 in Council Bluffs on Aug. 13, 2010. The four mixed metal structures were the eighth installation in the Bluffs by the Iowa West Foundation’s public art initiative.
The Omaha Jackals, a North Omaha football team, pose for a team photo after returning from a tournament in Texas with the championship trophy on Jan. 23, 2012. The team was outside Omaha Northwest High School.
Kelley Agard and Rick White of Red Oak, Iowa, kiss to conclude their wedding ceremony in the Squirrel Cage Jail in Council Bluffs on Aug. 23, 2010. State of Iowa district associate judge Mark Eveloff officiated the ceremony, with White’s daughter, Cassandra Oosterbaan, and her husband, Brian, serving as witnesses. Kelley planned to donate a kidney to Rick, who was suffering from a kidney disease. She had pledged the donation five years earlier, when they were only friends.
Shoppers crowd into the downtown Brandeis store in September 1980 for the start of the final closing sale. J.L. Braindeis and Sons had announced earlier that it would close stores in downtown Omaha and Lincoln and smaller stores in north Omaha and Columbus, Nebraska, by the end of 1980. The company planned to refurbish stores in Crossroads and Westroads Malls.
Cowboy Dick Kinsler, 10, perches on the base of an old elm tree on July 2, 1946. The tree was in front of the Florence Bank and is believed to have been planted by the first cashier, J.D. Brisbin, when the bank opened in 1856. It was 6 feet at the base. It was ordered to be razed in 1946 because the city forester pronounced it dangerous.
Johnny Carson is the center of attention at the Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack on June 7, 1969. From left are Marion Van Berg; Carson’s father, Homer “Kit” Carson; Johnny Carson; and Stan Bowker of Ak-Sar-Ben. Van Berg’s horse Tuffit Out won the $7,500 Johnny Carson purse that day. Carson was in Omaha for the weekend.
The City Auditorium Arena was packed with 10,604 fans thrilled by Elvis’ performance of his old hits “Jailhouse Rock” and “Teddy Bear,” sprinkled among gospel numbers on June 19, 1977. Adding to the excitement were nine TV cameras filming the concert for a planned fall special, “Elvis in Concert.” Auditorium manager Charlie Mancuso said that when CBS asked about doing the special, Elvis’ manager, Col. Tom Parker, told them that he wanted it done in Omaha. Elvis would perform his final concert a week later in Indianapolis. The CBS special aired several weeks after his death on Aug. 16, 1977.
Families with children will have more to do downtown during this year’s College World Series and U.S. Olympic Swim Trials.
A car is submerged on 84th Street near Interstate 80 after 7 to 8 inches of rain fell on Omaha on June 16 and 17, 1964. The Army Corps of Engineers labeled it a “100-year storm,” meaning a storm that size has a 1 percent chance of occurring in any given year. North of Dodge Street, more than 4,500 acres of farmland near the Big Papillion Creek was flooded. South of Dodge, the Big Papillion flooded 108 homes and 34 businesses. Seven people were killed in the Papillion Creek watershed, eventually leading the Corps to build reservoirs, including Cunningham, Wehrspann and Zorinsky Lakes. THE WORLD-HERALD
Jerry Shotkoski, 14, catches a glimpse of photographer Ed Rath just as he left the high diving platform at Hitchcock pool in August 1976. A sunny, 94-degree day helped inaugurate the pool at Hitchcock Park, 42nd and Q Streets, on June 8, 1970. The dedication of the 50-meter, Olympic-size pool was preceded by exhibitions of water ballet, diving from the pool’s 32-foot, tri-level platform, water polo and competition swimming. ED RATH/THE WORLD-HERALD
Like anything you see? Email email@example.com or call 402-444-1014 to purchase prints.
E.L. Tripp sprays DDT around the Livestock Exchange building to control the fly population on May 17, 1947. Many other areas in the yards and buildings around were sprayed to control the loss of livestock caused by the flies. MARTIN KOTRBA/THE WORLD-HERALD
Teacher Marjorie Anderson says goodbye and first-graders shout, “Vacation at last!” as the kids race from Webster School in Omaha on June 10, 1949, for the start of summer vacation. The school, built by Omaha architect John Latenser Sr. in 1886 for $38,937, stood at 616 N. 28th Ave. The red-brick school was razed in 1969. THE WORLD-HERALD
Anybody who wanted a ride on this Omaha streetcar on May 18, 1947, was out of luck. The streetcar went all the way from downtown to Ak-Sar-Ben Coliseum and back that Sunday without stopping for a passenger as Beta Sigma Phi, an international sorority of young businesswomen, capped off a two-day state convention. According to The World-Herald’s account of the event, there was a sherry party and a formal dance Saturday at the Paxton Hotel. On Sunday, delegates from Omaha, Lincoln, Hastings, Fremont, Fairbury and Grand Island crowded into the chartered streetcar at 14th and Harney Streets. They flung streamers around inside, tied balloons to the seats, tooted on paper horns, sang songs and danced in the aisle the whole trip. Marcy Gruidel, president of the Mu Chapter in Omaha, said, “I don’t know where we got the idea for a trolley ride but it seemed like a good one.” THE WORLD-HERALD
Douglas County’s biggest polio vaccination program began on May 2, 1955, with no difficulties as teams of doctors, nurses and PTA volunteers set up production lines at schools to vaccinate children. This one was at Dundee School, and that’s Dr. Lynn MacQuiddy administering the shots. According to The World-Herald’s account of the effort, some parents were reluctant to have their kids vaccinated because of reports that some children had developed polio after getting a vaccination. But Dr. J. Harry Murphy, a Creighton University Medical School professor and polio researcher, said those cases appeared to have been developing before the shots were given. “I have been advising my patients to go ahead with the shots,” he said. “I’ll stand behind that.” Other doctors also spoke in favor of having children vaccinated. And Dr. MacQuiddy gave a shot to his 8-year-old daughter, Mary, that day at Dundee School.
A lovely spring day in 1979 drew some 2,000 people to Omaha’s Elmwood Park, but the behavior of some visitors drew police. Officers were called to the park on Sunday, April 22, to investigate complaints of drinking and other illegal activities. According to The World-Herald’s account, officers arrested one person, ticketed seven more and impounded four cars. The city’s parks director, Arthur Bradley, described the scene that day at the park as a “jungle.” It was the third time that spring that officers were called to the park. Police started a special “park patrol” in response to the problems at Elmwood Park.
April 15 used to be a busy day for the U.S. Postal Service because many Americans waited until the deadline to file their income taxes. Here, postal worker Geri Wentz takes returns at Omaha’s main post office at 12th and Pacific Streets on April 15, 1991.
Cowboy movie star Tom Mix nearly caused a stampede when he came to Omaha on April 9, 1928, for an appearance at the Orpheum Theater. That’s Mix on the left being greeted by Mayor James Dahlman as he arrived for the judging of a cowboy costume and a roping contest. The World-Herald account of the event said more than 10,000 people gathered at the corner of 15th and Farnam Streets to see the star ride in on his horse, Tony. THE WORLD-HERALD
On March 29, 1943, the United States began rationing meat, fats and cheese as World War II raged on. Here, Omaha grocer Ray Wright displays the items subject to the new rules. According to the story accompanying the photo of Wright, the meat ration was about 2 pounds per person per week. The other allotments were measured in ounces: butter, 4½; lard, 4; margarine, 1½; cheese, 2; shortening, 3. The story also noted that under Great Britain’s rationing program, citizens received half the amount of meat as Americans but twice the amount of cheese.
Easter Sunday ended tragically in Omaha in 1913. A powerful tornado swept through town that evening and killed 94 people. More than 3,000 buildings were damaged, and the property damage was estimated at $3.5 million. This photo is looking north on 24th Street from Erskine Street.