Police officers shoot man at apartments

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:00 am

Papillion police shot a man Friday morning after he confronted two officers with a knife.

The scene unfolded after multiple calls to 911 prompted police to check the wellbeing of a resident about 9:17 a.m. at the Gold Coast Square Apartments, 701 Golden Gate Circle.

A 25-year-old man had barricaded himself in a third-floor apartment by bracing something against the door, and police were unable to talk him into leaving the unit.

Police called in a member of the South Metro Crisis Response Unit from the Bellevue Police Department to negotiate with the man.

He exited the apartment about 10:44 a.m., and two police officers shot once each after he confronted them with a knife.

One of the bullets struck the man near his collar bone or shoulder, and the other bullet missed him.

The man, whom law enforcement have yet to identify, was taken in critical condition to the Nebraska Medical Center. Authorities said he was listed in stable condition Friday afternoon and is expected to survive.

The Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the situation surrounding incident, and the Papillion Police Department is conducting an internal review of the shooting.

Sarpy County Sheriff Jeff Davis said it is typical procedure for another law enforcement agency to take charge of the criminal investigation following an officer-involved shooting.

Three Papillion police officers — one who has served seven years in Papillion, another who has served 12 years and a third who is their supervisor — are on paid administrative while the investigation is under way.

Papillion Police Chief Len Houloose said an officer-involved shooting hasn’t taken place in Papillion in at least two decades.

“We’ve not had an officer-involved shooting situation in the some 20 years I have been here,” he said. “It’s very rare.”

The names of those involved will be identified at a later point by Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov. Seven law enforcement officers are conducting interviews as part of the investigation into the incident.

As of Monday, Polikov said there hadn’t been any resolution in the investigation and the officers remained on paid leave. He said he expected officials will have new information by the end of the week.

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald. To purchase rights to republish this article, please contact The World-Herald Store.

Click here to subscribe
Advertising 402-444-1248