Three blazes keep Bellevue firefighters busy

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 12:00 am

Three fires in a span of five days kept Bellevue firefighters busy.

A fire Monday afternoon damaged a garage and a home in northwest Bellevue.

Firefighters responded at about 4 p.m. to a home near 41st Street and Southern Hill Drive.

The home adjacent to the garage was damaged by heat from the fire, said Batalion Chief Steve Wagner.

It melted the home’s siding and broke a kitchen window. A neighboring house was also damaged in the blaze.

The cause of the fire is under investigation by the State Fire Marshals Office, Wagner said.

A second fire destroyed a home near 53rd and Emiline streets on Thursday night.

Firefighters responded to the scene at 8:15 p.m., a press release from the department said.

On arrival, firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the windows.

The fire, which was extinguished within 15 minutes, originated on a lower level of the house and burned through to the main level.

All three occupants of the house got out safely and with no injuries.

The cause of the fire is under investigation by the State Fire Marshals Office.

Firefighters responded to the third fire at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, Batalion Chief Kurt Strachota said.

Residents of the home, near 35th and Hancock streets, were using a small grill as a fire pit. They poured water on the contents that were burning and dumped the contents into a trash can next to a garage.

The contents started back on fire and it spread to the garage, house and a vehicle in the driveway, Strachota said.

There were no injuries in the fire.

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald. To purchase rights to republish this article, please contact The World-Herald Store.

Click here to subscribe
Advertising 402-444-1248