UNO dorm fire could trigger local building code changes

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:00 am | Updated: 5:36 pm, Sun Aug 17, 2014.

The UNO residence hall fire was the latest in a string of Omaha fires caused by discarded cigarettes that could lead to changes in local building codes, including requiring fire-resistant materials on new apartment balconies, a city official said.

The fire Wednesday at the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Scott Village was at least the fifth since December 2012 that was started with smoking materials on a balcony, said Jay Davis, superintendent of the City Permits and Inspection Division.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

You must login to view the full content on this page.

Thank you for reading and relying on Omaha.com for your news and information. You have now viewed your 30 day allowance of 15 free Omaha.com articles. If you are an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber please click here. If you are not an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber and would like to have Unlimited access to all Digital Products please click here. If you have any questions or need further information please call 402-346-3363 or 1-800-234-6942 or email customer.service@owh.com You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald. To purchase rights to republish this article, please contact The World-Herald Store.

loading...

World-Herald Alerts

Want to get World-Herald stories sent directly to your home or work computer? Sign up for Omaha.com's News Alerts and you will receive e-mails with the day's top stories.