Red Cross fears 1,200 deaths in Philippine typhoon

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:00 am

MANILA, Philippines -- The powerful typhoon that swept across the Philippines on Friday, one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall, cut a path of destruction through several central islands, leaving the seaside city of Tacloban in ruins and leading to early estimates of at least 1,200 dead.

Although the government said it could confirm only about 140 deaths so far, the Red Cross in Manila said its people on the ground were reporting an estimated 1,000 deaths on Leyte Island, where Tacloban is, and about 200 on the neighboring island of Samar.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

You must login to view the full content on this page.

Thank you for reading and relying on Omaha.com for your news and information. You have now viewed your 30 day allowance of 15 free Omaha.com articles. If you are an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber please click here. If you are not an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber and would like to have Unlimited access to all Digital Products please click here. If you have any questions or need further information please call 402-346-3363 or 1-800-234-6942 or email customer.service@owh.com You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald. To purchase rights to republish this article, please contact The World-Herald Store.

loading...

World-Herald Alerts

Want to get World-Herald stories sent directly to your home or work computer? Sign up for Omaha.com's News Alerts and you will receive e-mails with the day's top stories.