North Korea detains US war veteran, 85, son says

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:00 am

PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) - Despite strong warnings from the U.S. State Department, hundreds of Americans like the 85-year-old Korean War veteran apparently being detained in North Korea travel to the communist nation each year. Many go as part of humanitarian efforts or to find long-lost relatives. Some, like the war vet, simply want to see a closed society shrouded in mystery.

In the case of Merrill Newman, an inveterate traveler and long-retired finance executive from California, that desire was fueled by the three years he spent as an infantryman during the Korean War six decades ago, according to his son. North Korean officials detained him at the end of a nine-day trip last month as he sat in an airplane set to leave the country, the son said.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

You must login to view the full content on this page.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thank you for reading and relying on Omaha.com for your news and information. You have now viewed your 30 day allowance of 15 free Omaha.com articles. If you are an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber please click here. If you are not an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber and would like to have Unlimited access to all Digital Products please click here. If you have any questions or need further information please call 402-346-3363 or 1-800-234-6942 or email customer.service@owh.com You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

loading...

World-Herald Alerts

Want to get World-Herald stories sent directly to your home or work computer? Sign up for Omaha.com's News Alerts and you will receive e-mails with the day's top stories.